Friday, June 28, 2019

Puppet Show

I have always had a fascination with toys and the way a child will use them to do storytelling and keep himself entertained. I am a product of the same.
Somewhere in 2009 I saw Dadi Pudumjee perform at NCPA and BOOM!! went my mind. I wanted to study it, but since I was busy with animation this dream kind of got left out. When I went into academics I nurtured my dream back to life (I was the Head of the Department at Symbiosis Institute of Design, Pune). But then how to go about it?? I contacted renowned puppeteer and theater personality Meena Naik to come take a workshop at the institute where I taught and learnt a bit of the process of putting together a puppet play.
The next year I floated an elective on Puppetry and here are some of the results.

This a prayer to Lord Ganesha that we choreographed with the help of our theatre teacher Aditi, it is a complex 3 person operated puppet. It was a great joy to see my effort come to life.

We also created some short skits.


Finally I was able to turn the short skits into two good student projects.


Now that I am back in the industry I did put a pitch together to make the project into commercially sustainable production which retains the culture. Hope it goes into production soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment